Associate Professor of Law
B.A. with Honors and with Distinction, Iowa State University, 2004
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2007
• Email: email@example.com
• Phone: (405) 325-0537
• Twitter: @design_law
• Tumblr: http://design-law.tumblr.com
• Professor Burstein's Scholarship: http://ssrn.com/author=1616651 (opens in new window)
• Link: Professor Burstein’s CV (PDF, opens in new window)
• OU Desire2Learn: https://learn.ou.edu/index.asp
Professor Burstein joined the University of Oklahoma College of Law faculty in 2012. She teaches Copyright, Design Law, Intellectual Property and Trademarks.
Prior to joining the faculty, Professor Burstein served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert W. Pratt in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa. She also worked as an intellectual property litigation associate in the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Professor Burstein has a law degree from the University of Chicago and B.A. in Art & Design from Iowa State University.
Professor Burstein’s scholarship focuses on design law, with a particular focus on design patents. She has participated, by invitation, in design law conferences at the University of Oxford, Stanford Law School, the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property and Competition Law, and ETH Zurich. Professor Burstein also serves as Chair of the ABA Design Committee and Chair-Elect of the AALS Section on Art Law. She has also been appointed to the INTA Design Rights Committee for the 2016-2017 term.
Selected Recent & Upcoming Presentations
- Fifteenth Annual Intellectual Property Scholars Conference, DePaul University College of Law (Aug. 2015)
- Intellectual Property Scholars Roundtable, Texas A&M University School of Law (Oct. 2015)
- Distinguished Speakers Series at Indiana University, McKinney School of Law, Center for Intellectual Property and Innovation (Nov. 2015)
Costly Designs, 77 Ohio St. L.J. ___ (forthcoming 2016).
The Patented Design, 83 Tenn. L. Rev.__(forthcoming 2015).
Moving Beyond the Standard Criticisms of Design Patents, 17 Stan. Tech. L. Rev. 305 (2013) (symposium contribution).
Not (Necessarily) Narrower: Rethinking the Relative Scope of Copyright Protection for Designs, 3 IP Theory 114 (2013) (invited contribution).
Visual Invention, 16 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 169 (2012).