Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need a computer for my time at the College of Law?
A: You will need to have access to a computer (which you will have via the Law Student Computer Lab), but it you are not required to own one, although most law students do purchase their own.
Q: If I buy a computer, what specifications should I seek?
A: In the past, we offered computing recommendations to incoming law students; however, any computer made in the last two years or so should be adequate for the average OU Law Student's basic needs with respect to law school. See the Computer Recommendations page for hardware and software recommendations.
Q: What can you tell me about e-mail at the College of Law?
A: E-mail for OU Law students is provided by The University of Oklahoma Department of Information Technology (IT), not by the College of Law. If you have questions, please feel free to ask us for help. We will do what we can to help you, but we don't have any administrative access to the e-mail system, so it's probable that we will have to refer you to their support system. You can use OU's Student Webmail from within the Labs, or any POP or IMAP mail client (eg, Outlook Express, Netscape Messenger, Eudora, etc.) from home. If you are having problems with e-mail, please contact OU's Main Campus IT at (405) 325-4357.
Q: How can I access the CALI Exercises?
A: There are two ways to access the CALI Exercises:
- From the CALI CD - We have a limited supply; ask a Student Lab Assistant for one.
- From the CALI Web Site - For more information on this, please visit the Student Intranet.
Q: What are the requirements for connecting my laptop to the network?
A: Requirements are as follows:
- You must be enrolled at OU Law. The OU Law Network is only open to currently enrolled OU Law students, faculty and staff.
- You must have completed the Online Computer Lab Orientation.
- You must have you photo taken. This photo is used for your Building Access Card, on the seating charts your professors use in class, and (at your option) in the Law Student Online Directory on the Law Student Intranet. Photos are generally taken during the new student Orientations before the first week of classes (1Ls, Transfers, LLMs, Visitors) or on the first day of classes (EAPs).
- Your laptop must have an 802.11b/g or 802.11b/g/n wireless network adapter.
- Your laptop must be registered with the College of Law through the Law ITS Office. Take your laptop (and the network adapter) to the Law ITS office in suite 3040.
Further FAQs are covered in the Lab Orientation (which is mandatory for all new OU Law students) and on the Student Intranet at https://jefferson.law.ou.edu/intranet/ (username and password required; opens in a new window).