- Adjunct Professor
B.S., Michigan Technological University, 1976
M.B.A., University of Michigan, 1978
J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law, 1984
- Energy, Finance, Environmental
Over the last 25 years, Joe Dancy has taught courses in Oil and Gas, Oil and Gas Environmental Law, Energy Law, Toxic Tort Litigation, and Environmental Law at the SMU Dedman School of Law and the SMU Cox School of Business, and he serves as Faculty Advisor to the student-managed SMU Spindletop Energy Fund. He currently serves as President of LSGI Advisers, Inc. and manager of the LSGI Venture Fund, a private actively managed fund.
He obtained his undergraduate degree in Metallurgical Engineering and Mineral Processing from Michigan Technological University, an MBA from the University of Michigan, and a J.D. from Oklahoma City University School of Law.
His legal and business career has focused on oil and gas, energy, water, mining, debtor/creditor, bankruptcy, and environmental issues, including practicing oil and gas and environmental law with private law firms in Oklahoma, serving as senior attorney with Enserch Corporation, and financial analysis and modeling of pipeline and business projects with TXU Corporation.
He was appointed, at different times, by the governor of Texas and the governor of Oklahoma to serve as state delegate on the Interstate Oil and Gas Commission. He has also served on the Board of Directors of several private and state entities or foundations and is currently on the Board of Directors of a publicly listed NASDAQ manufacturing firm.
He has presented and published numerous times on oil and gas, debtor/creditor, bankruptcy, and environmental topics, in forums that include the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Oil and Gas Tax Quarterly, multiple law journals, and the International Conference of the International Association of Energy Economics.
• Legal & Regulatory Cyber Issues for Pipelines, Oil & Gas Pipeline Journal (Feb. 2018).
• The History of the U.S. Permian Basin: A Miracle of Technology, 25th International Congress of History of Science & Technology Conference (Rio 2017) & OU Energy Journal & Landman Magazine (tentative Spring 2018).
• Oil & Gas Environmental Law & Toxic Tort Litigation, (OU College of Law textbook) (2017).
• Technological & Investment Trends in the Energy Sector, Pipeline Opportunities Conference (Houston 2017).
• Terrorism and Oil & Gas Pipeline Infrastructure: Vulnerability and Potential Liability for Cybersecurity Attacks, OU Energy Journal (Spring 2017).
• Oil & Gas Practicum – Energy, Environmental & Property Law Issues (UNT Law textbook) (2016).
• Oil & Gas I – Case Law, Regulation, Economics, and Investment of the Energy Sector (UNT Law textbook) (2016).
• Energy & Environmental Law ‐ Regulation, Economics, and Investment of the Energy Sector (SMU School of Business textbook) (Third Ed. 2015).
• Oil & Gas Environmental Law (SMU Law School textbook) (8th Ed. 2015).
• LSGI Advisors Report (Monthly report on economic developments, investment strategies & trends) (1999 – present).
• Energy Sector Trends & their Investment Implications, Pipeline Opportunities Conference, (Houston 2015).
• Major Trends in the Energy Sector, Pipeline Opportunities Conference, (Houston 2014).
• The Fourth Era of Oil, SMU Executive Education presentation (2008).
• The Energy Boom is Just Starting, (Column) Barron’s Financial Weekly, June 2007.
• Electronic Media, Due Diligence, and the New Industrial Revolution, 53 Consumer Finance L.Q. Rep. 72 (1999).
• Water Quality Issues: The Safe Drinking Water Act & the Clean Water Act, Amer. Assoc. Pet. Landmen (1999).
• Common Law Environmental Issues & Liability for Unplugged Wells, Amer. Assoc. Pet. Landmen (1999).
• Ozone Non‐Attainment Areas in Texas ‐ Major Problems and Suggested Solutions published in the SMU Law Review (Spring 1994).
• Oil and Gas Issues Involved in the Superfund Reauthorization published in St. Mary's Law Review (1995).
• Unstable Crude Oil Prices and their Effect on Producers and Financial Institutions, proceedings, 8th Annual International Conference of the International Assoc. of Energy Economics (Tokyo, 1988).
• Oil & Gas Financing Under U.C.C. Article 9, Univ. of Okla. Law Review (1988).
• Creditor Lien Rights and the Impact of Bankruptcy, Okla. City Univ. L. Rev. (1985).
• Purchasing Mineral Interests From Bankrupt Entities, Okla. Bar Journal (1987).
• Environmental Constraints of Crude Oil Production in the United States, proceedings, 9th Annual International Conference of the International Assoc. of Energy Economics (Caracus, 1989).
• Environmental Issues Involved in Acquisitions and Divestitures, proceedings, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (Santa Fe, 1995).
• How To Conduct An Environmental Audit, proceedings, Mid‐Continent Symposium of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (Amarillo, 1994).
• Environmental Laws & Regulations Impacting Oil & Gas Operations, proceedings, Oklahoma State University Technical Institute seminar (Oklahoma City 1998).
• The Impact of the Clean Air Act on Oil & Gas Operations, Landman Magazine (1993).
• Environmental Concerns for Pipelines and Oil & Gas Operations, Landman Magazine, (1991).
• Oil & Gas Leasing In Oklahoma, Okla. City Univ. L. Rev. (1988).
• Natural Gas Contract Interpretation Under the U.C.C., Oil & Gas Tax Quarterly (1987).
• The Applicability of the UCC to Natural Gas Contracts, proceedings, National Energy Law & Policy Institute (1987).
• Regulation of the Oil & Gas Industry by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, Tulsa L. Review (1986).
• Negotiating & Renegotiating the Gas Contract: Producer Duties to Third Parties, Okla. Bar Journal (1985).
• Legal Considerations in the Geophysical Exploration for Oil & Gas, Okla. Bar Journal (1986).
• Establishing Drilling & Spacing Units in Oklahoma: Is Publication Notice Sufficient?, Okla. Bar Journal (1984).
• The Statutory Oil & Gas Lien in Oklahoma, Tulsa L. Review (1984).
• Protecting the Oil Field Creditor, Oklahoma Bar Journal.