- Assistant Professor of Legal Studies, Price College of Business
- Affiliate Faculty, College of Law
B.A., University of Notre Dame
M.S., Carnegie Mellon University
J.D./M.B.A., University of Virginia
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- Banking and Financial Institutions Law and Regulation
- Clearinghouses for Over-the-Counter Derivatives
- Central Bank Regulation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Negotiation and Mediation)
- Business Ethics
PhD (Wharton) Professor Baker is an expert in banking and financial institutions law and regulation, with extensive knowledge of over-the-counter derivatives, clearing, the Dodd-Frank Act, and bankruptcy, in addition to being a mediator and arbitrator. Previously, she spent time at the U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Business, the U. of Notre Dame Law School, and Villanova University Law School. She has consulted for the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and for The Volcker Alliance. Prior to academia, Professor Baker worked as a legal professional and as an information technology associate. She is a member of the State Bars of NY and TX.
Professor Baker is a member of the American Bar Association, and a member of the State Bars of New York and Texas.
- Baker, C. Entrepreneurial Regulatory Legal Strategy, American Business Law Journal (in press).
- Baker, C. & Ostas, D. (2020) Ethics of Legal Astuteness: Barring Class Actions Through Arbitration Clauses, Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal, 29(3), 399-426.
- Baker, C.M., Fratto, D., & Reiners, L. (2020) Banking on the Cloud, Transactions: University of Tennessee Journal of Business Law, 21(2), 381-401.
- Baker, C.M. (2019) Incomplete Clearinghouse Mandates, American Business Law Journal, 56(3), 507-581.
- Baker, C., & Werbach, K. (2019) Blockchain in Financial Services, in J. Madir (Ed.). FinTech: Law and Regulation. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., 123-147.
- Baker, C., Cummings, C. & Jagtianni, J. (2017) The Impacts of Financial Regulations: Solvency and Liquidity in the Post-Crisis Period, Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, 25(3), 253-270.
- Baker, C. (2016) When Regulators Collide: Financial Market Stability, Systemic Risk, Clearinghouses, and CDS, University of Virginia Law & Business Review, 10(3), 343-491.
- Baker, C. (2016) Clearinghouses for Over-the-Counter Derivatives (The Volcker Alliance Working Paper) New York, 1-76.
- Baker, C.M. (2015) Regulatory Reforms and Unintended Collisions: The Case of the Volcker Rule and the Over-the-Counter Derivative Markets, Capital Markets Law Journal, 10(4), 433-446.
- Baker, C. (2015) A Primer on Dodd-Frank’s Title VIII in J. Barth & G. Kaufman (Eds.). The First Great Financial Crisis of the 21st Century: A Retrospective. Hanover: WSPC/NOW, 283-298.
- Baker, C. (2012-2013) The Federal Reserve's Supporting Role Behind Dodd-Frank's Clearinghouse Reforms, Harvard Business Law Review Online, 3, 177-186.
- Baker, C. (2013) The Federal Reserve’s Use of International Swap Lines, Arizona Law Review, 55(3), 603–654.
- Baker, C. (2013, July 25) Evaluating Dodd-Frank and International Approaches to Clearinghouses, Central Banks, and Swap Lines, CLS Blue Sky Blog.
- Baker, C. (2012) The Federal Reserve as Last Resort, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, 46(1), 69–133.
- Baker, C. (2011) Charting a Course in Clearing, Bulletin of the Notre Dame Center for the Study of Financial Regulation. South Bend: University of Notre Dame College of Business, 11-18.
- Baker, C.M. (2010) Regulating the Invisible: The Case of Over-the-Counter Derivatives, Notre Dame Law Review, 85(4), 1287–1378.
- Baker, C. (2010) Sovereign Wealth Funds, in J. Boatright (Ed.) Finance Ethics: Critical Issues in Theory and Practice, Hokoken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 253–271.
- Dunfee, T. & Baker, C. (2007) The Impact of Dirty Money on Global Capitalism, Business Ethics Quarterly, 17(4), 729–742.
- Baker, C. (2004) The Fate of Human Capital Contracts in Bankruptcy in E. O’Halloran, M. Palacios Lleras, A.L. Halliday & R.F. Bruner (Eds.) An Executive Briefing on Financing Human Capital, Charlottesville: University of Virginia Darden School of Business, 80–93.
In the Media
Global Risk Regulator
- FSB sees potential problems with rules on clearing OTC derivatives
- Dealers versus clearers: a battle of living wills
- US regulatory proposals pose concern to foreign banks operating there
- Battle between CCPs and their members steps up a notch
- FSB throws CCP equity on the line in resolution consultation
Wall Street Journal
Financial News London